Sunday, August 5, 2007

Runaway

In a post last month at EricCarmen.com, Eric wrote: "When I sequenced the Boats Against The Current album, it STARTED with 'Run Away' and ENDED with 'Boats Against The Current.' It was sequenced chronologically, like life. Clive [Davis] didn't like starting with 'Run Away' because traditionally labels like to lead off with the 'single.' You know, back before 'concept albums' when all of us artists started taking ourselves too seriously. I told Clive the sequence had to remain as is and that I really wanted it to start with 'Run Away' but, if he insisted, he could start with 'Boats' and run the sequence backwards. That, of course, was his choice.

'Boats' was always supposed to be the album 'closer.' That's the way I planned it, but heck, what do I know, It was just my life story and I only wrote the damn thing.

My original sequence was:
Run Away
I Think I Found Myself
She Did It
Love Is All That Matters
Take It Or Leave It
Nowhere To Hide
A Temporary Hero
Marathon Man
Boats Against The Current

It tracked my life from 1967 (the year I graduated from high school) through 1977. Fortunately, I'm a bit more optimistic now."

"RUNAWAY" DEMO - LISTEN

1 comment:

Susan Rothman said...

The difference between the demo and the finished production is one that highlights certain aspects of it and I feel like I "get it".

SSLittleD